Friday, May 22, 2015

One for the Storybook

I started to write about my non-birthday event, but instead, I started writing about the best Grandfather ever.

We got back from our trip to K'zoo on Saturday.  Just thinking about it makes me tired.  We left Friday morning, met my Sis and her husband for a quick lunch in central Illinois, then made it into town just in time to see a huge gaggle of family gathered around Grandma at the hotel.

We all were happy to see one another, but it was a somber time, too.  The family had descended on Kalamazoo to honor Grandpa.

My own grandfather was a very stern man who didn't like kids much.  Can you imagine my delight when I married Matt and three amazing grandparents came wrapped up in the deal?

He was such a wonderful person.  I always describe him as the 'storybook' grandfather, full of all-encompassing hugs, beaming smiles and great stories.


I have heard from several people that Grandpa had a 'decicive' side, but I never saw it! (Enter in the story where angsty teenage Matt drives a golf ball through an enraged man's windshield.  Grandpa stood behind Matt and simply said "Sir, you cannot speak to my Grandson in that way."  Grandpa to the rescue!)


I just remember the hugs.  And the beaming smile I always got from him when I walked through the door.

I look forward to one of those hugs when we meet again someday.

With love and laugher (and some tears)
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment