Monday, September 14, 2015

That Sure Was The Ol' Labor Daybor

It's been a while since either of us posted anything on here. Most notably me. Time to rectify both!

Well, I'll start with an update on the house:
The floors aren't yet finished.

Now, I know some of you might be saying -- we ought to be finished already. We started this project officially back in January of 2013, and we had grand plans to finish by the end of the year (I want to say we actually planned to have it done in 6 months, but I don't remember if we were that insane). A was reading lots of DIY and Homesteader books, blogs, and whatever else she could get her hands on for inspiration -- many of which were written by stay-at-home, homemaker women. Now, when you read these articles and things by women who are supposedly your peers and who claim that "You too can prepare a three-course meal every day, all while learning the concertina, cleaning the house from top to bottom (including behind the fridge and under the stove), and doing 'X' home renovation project," you might say, "Yeah, I'm motivated! I can definitely pull that off!" A inspired me with her enthusiasm, and I was (and still am) happy to be with her on this ongoing renovation project.

However...

...you must inevitably face reality. I don't know if the above homemaker-types are going through life in a blind frenzy every day trying to get things done (as my paradigm imagines), if they are just writing about one glorious day where it all worked out as they said with the hopes that it will be somehow inspirational (but the other 364 aren't so "shiny"), or they are just flat-out delusional about how life around them is actually going.

Which leads me to this last weekend. The Labor Day weekend. We have a deadline set to finish the final bedroom, but since we, the normal working-types, can really only work effectively on the weekends, we look forward to the glorious three-day variant, since that usually means we have extra time to work and still get our rest in. Sadly, that didn't happen.

I got sick.

Really sick.

I only get sick a couple of times a year, and at most, it lasts a day. This was not one of those times. A was wonderful and took great care of me, but by the time I started to feel at all better, the weekend was gone. Not a single floor-board was touched that we weren't already walking upon.

Oh well.
I suppose the point of Labor Day is to rest, whether you want to or not!

1 comment:

  1. I want to know when A is going to regale us with her wizardry on the concertina!

    ReplyDelete